The Best Thank You Gift for Teachers...

Saturday, June 7, 2014

   I live in the land of complainers.  Present company excluded, the moms that I know are big whiners. Sure, it is coming from a place of love and dedication to their children, but the administration and staff at the schools that my children attend are probably very happy that school is out if only so that they don't have to answer parent phone calls and emails for the next 80 days.   

  They complain about everything as mundane as the color of the PE uniform shorts to important things like bullying and school safety.  There is not a lot of discrepancy as to the tone of their concerns. Everything is a major emergency.  If a child is not placed in the same room as her friend during the overnight field trip, calls placed to the administration have the same sense of urgency as ones made about the child not being able to pass a reading test. 


Funny T-shirt from Zazzle.com


   They are a tough crowd so I have made it my business to make sure that when a teacher has done an outstanding job, I write a letter at the end of the year. Not to the teacher, but to her boss.  I only write when I feel that it is heartfelt and honest. I don't blow smoke.  Some years, none are written. This year, as I exit a school that I've been involved with for many years, the letter will be sent to the " superintendent" and will praise more than one person by name.

    Not only do I live in the land of complainers, I live in the land of major gift givers.  It has been rumored that court-side seats to Miami Heat games and complimentary weekends at local five star resorts have been given as Christmas and End of the Year gifts to teachers and staff by well connected parents. While well intentioned, that $10 gift card to Starbucks or a scented candle that most of us pass out seems a little chintzy. My letters are appreciated though. In fact, one of the teachers that I wrote a letter about many years ago, came up to me during the book fair this year and told me that she still has a copy the letter in a box of mementoes from her first years of teaching. She said that she had really been touched by the fact that a nice letter was written to her principal about her. 

   So along with that #1 Teacher Coffee mug which included a thank you letter to the teacher herself, you might want to pen a few lines to her boss about how lucky the school is to have her on staff.  Use examples but make it short and sweet. (One page is enough ). Send a cc to the teacher.   Even if your school year is over, it is not too late. Principals still work for part of the  summer.  It might not be extravagant but it is a thoughtful gift.  

6 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you for being the "A+" parent I dreamed about for my 37 years of teaching. Luckily I had a few who showed their appreciation in writing and in word. That means so much! Hugs, Linda@Wetcreek Blog

NanaDiana said...

You are a girl after my own heart. I do things like that, too. I have done it even in Dr's offices where I have been treated especially well by a staff member. I think honest praise is the best gift you can give anyone.

I hate those SHOW OFFS that OVERDO things so that the teacher will LOVE THEIR KID the most! lol

Have a great weekend- I am out the door as soon as MyHero gets his pants on-and that's all I'm gonna say about that! xo Diana

angryparsnip said...

Yes, that is the best gift ever.
Your are the parent that teachers want and need.

cheers, parsnip

vivian said...

we always gave little teacher gifts, usually flowers to plant outside or gift certs for the local ice cream shop. Letters are a nice idea though. I always loved all my kids teachers.. well, there was one or two that we could have done without. lol!
anyways.. are you in summer mode now? lol! Enjoy!
have a great week
xoxo
vivian

Jade Wright said...

This is such a sweet way to thank teachers - I have no teachers anymore - but wish I had done something like this in the past xxx

www.bohemianmuses.blogspot.com

Susie said...

Japolina, Thank you so much...my daughter teaches, and I think the kind letter is so appreciated. Angie gets gift cards to eat out and candles, tablets, hand creams, things like that. I have seen her make over every gift and thank every child and the whole class for being caring students. I truly like the letter idea very much. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)