This time of year, we are all supposed to be thinking about what we are thankful for. As I sat in Temple the other day watching my friend's son become a Bar Mitzvah, I thought about the real things that I'm thankful for. (Family, Health, etc) But The Super-funny Jen at The Suburban Jungle cracked me up this afternoon when she posted the 27 things that she is thankful for and it got me thinking, what are the things that I'm truly thankful for besides the obvious ones.
1. I'm thankful that I have built in manual laborers in my house.. Well, they talk back and I have to yell a lot but I do have two giant teens who can unload groceries and a dishwasher, carry laundry up and down stairs and do other various choses for free. Sure I have to feed, clothe and drive them around, but the extra help is kind of nice.
2. I'm thankful for my giant flat screen television in my room. It is 2 years old. Is a smart tv (internet connection) and is crystal clear. Yesterday, I told my son that if I could, I'd marry it and I was not kidding.
3. I'm thankful for text messages. I don't always give good phone and I love being able to get my message across without having do do the whole phone call thing and it's niceties.
4. I'm thankful for Amazon Prime. Seriously. It is the best $79 a year that I spend. I order things like printer ink or books for school or vitamins at least two or three times a week and it is always delivered in two days. For free! It is the lazy girl's best friend
5. I'm thankful for Air Conditioning. Sorry but everyone in Florida should have to say thanks for that at least once a year.
6. My bangs and I are very thankful for flat irons. I can't remember what life was like before them but it was uglier for sure.
7. I'm thankful for tripadvisor.com. Checking into to gross hotels are a thing of the past for me. I once had to wear shoes in a hotel room in NYC because the carpet was sticky. Thank goodness that website posts real visitor reviews so surprises are minimal
8. I'm thankful that my mother made me take typing class in High School even though I did not want to. I can't imagine hunting and pecking
9. I'm thankful for good lighting at parties. Last night I was at a Bar Mitzvah and the lighting was so perfect, me and my other young (middle-aged) friends all looked so soft and wrinkleless!
10. I'm thankful DVRs and on-demand television. I look back on those days when I did not want to go out on Thursday night because I'd miss my shows are absurd!
11. I'm thankful for Magic erasers. Those little sponges get marks off of walls. Who came up with that?
12. I'm thankful that my kids have great senses of humor. Laughing may save my entire family from going insane.
13. I'm thankful that the internet has recipes for everything and that I don't have to have cookbooks anymore.
14. I'm thankful for that once in a lifetime holiday THANKSGIVUKKAH. Here is our turkey menorah. Yes, its more on the tacky side but it will be used for one night only.
Happy Thanksgiving Day. What are the untraditional things that you are thankful for right now.